Not only since the new legal requirements in connection with the DSGVO The word "data security" isData security“, to define a meaningful term, which is often defined in completely different ways. But when is data actually "secure"?? And what requirements must be met to ensure that no wishes remain unfulfilled with regard to reliable data security??
This is what you can expect today:
- What is data security?
- Data security and data protection What is the difference?
- Are data security and information security the same thing??
- How does data security work in the enterprise?
- Data security on the Internet
What is data security?
The term "data security encompasses not only the comprehensive protecting data from loss, but also Measures, which are subject to falsification and Deletion to prevent. Since data can be compromised in various ways, for example manually and via software, it is extremely important that a company’s data security also operates at different levels. Among other things, the appropriate measures can also be used to protect activities from cybercrime be prevented.
Aims of the data security
If you rely on measures in a company that ensure the Data security support, you profit among other things from the fact that these measures provide important details about projects, orders and co. Protect against unauthorized third parties.
The importance of investing and keeping up to date in this area is evident whenever deficiencies in this area have allowed data to be leaked, deleted or duplicated. The damage here can be immense (depending on the extent).
The main goal of data security it is accordingly, protecting internal company data and at the same time secure storage.
Of course, the concept of data security also plays an important role in the private sphere, however. In times of online banking and online shopping, appropriate precautions should not be neglected.
Why data security is important..
The importance of data security is evident in many different areas.
Companies (and private individuals) are justifiably concerned about this, among other things…:
- Company secrets resp. to preserve sensitive data
- to prevent misuse of the corresponding information
- to protect against attacks by competitors or. from the field of cybercrime, it is accordingly.
Damage that occurs in connection with neglecting data security can not only have a negative impact on day-to-day business, but also put a heavy strain on the budget. After all, gaps in data security sometimes literally open the door to criminals and they can work with passwords, logins and confidential details (sometimes over a comparatively long period of time).
Data security and data protection What is the difference?
Particularly in everyday business, the two terms "data security" and "data protection always thrown together. There are clear definitions for both areas.
To clarify the special characteristics a little better, it is useful to take a look at the following table:
BrieflyThe aim of data security is to prevent unauthorized access to data, both with regard to reliable data security and in connection with data protection. While data security refers to company data AND personal data, data protection serves the personal data of people and is, among other things, also anchored as a fundamental right.
Does data security have a negative impact on data protection?
The table shows that measures in the areas of data security and data protection can be mutually dependent. Nevertheless, it is quite possible in everyday life that data protection and data security also have a negative influence on each other.
This is especially true if the data is stored in a cloud.
ForOn the one hand, data should be stored securely in this way (per data security), on the other hand, this strategy is also associated with various risks that should not be underestimated.
Thus, the said storage via the cloud may only be used if this step is legally sound or if the data is stored in the cloud. based on consent. In addition, further requirements must be met if the provider of the cloud used in each case is based in a third country in the non-EU or in a third country in the EU. outside the EEA has. Therefore, many companies that rely on said cloud solution choose a provider within Germany.
Data security& Data protection
Are data security and information security the same thing?
Another term that is always mentioned in connection with the area of data security is information security. But what exactly are we talking about here?? Again, of course, a fixed definition ensures that both terms can be comparatively well distinguished from each other.
What is information security??
All regulations that become important with regard to information security are included in the IT basic protection catalogs defined by the BSI and in ISO 27001.
As the name suggests, the objective of information security is also to protect information. However, one of the ways in which this term is used to describe data security is that of information security…:
Data are affected. In the past, many experts have also begun to view data security as a component of information security.
What are the differences between information security and data security??
In order to better illustrate the fundamental differences between information and data security, it is worth taking a look at the following table.
How data security works in the company?
So that the data in your company is really protected from access by unauthorized persons or third parties. before..:
are protected, it is of course important to take appropriate precautions. Among other things, you need to make sure that only authorized people have access to the various pieces of information. To make sure that you succeed in doing this, it makes sense to take a look at our step-by-step listing. This to-do list will help you to "incidentally" identify the best way to protect your data also showed how extensive the topic of "data protection" is ultimately.
Step by step: how to secure your company’s data
- Deal with the Basic regulations on the topics of data protection and data security. You can find a lot of information about this in §9 BDSG.
- Lead a Protection Needs Analysis Through. The result tells you what kind of protection is appropriate to protect the data in your organization.
- Make sure that only authorized persons also have access to the corresponding data. You can ensure this with the help of an access control.
- Modern solutions in the area Password management allow you to rely on reliable access control. Many systems also offer the possibility to chronologically document accesses with the respective passwords. So you can always find out when who is logging in. ÄSimilar security measures also exist in connection with the modification and deletion of data in the system. If you use the appropriate technology here, you can easily track which employee added information if necessary.
- Use role-based permissions, to further limit the visibility of sensitive data. Employees who have administrator rights, for example, can view more than employees with basic access. The positive effect can be seen on two levels. This way, authorized employees have unrestricted access to all information, while others can focus exclusively on their work area.
- Make sure that no data in connection with an elektronischeubermitteln or manually passed on will be! The most classical solution in particularly sensitive areas of the company is the manual control of bags and co. come into use. However, among other things, you can also require that the relevant data be destroyed after company-specific use.
- Secure yourself against "force majeure from! Of course, the loss of data does not always have to be in connection with the access of an unauthorized third party! Sometimes it is special events, such as a thunderstorm that caused a power outage, that cause the "worst case" provide.
To prevent scenarios like this, it is best to use emergency power generators and make sure that your data is saved regularly. Also make sure that all employees know what precautions to take in case of an emergency. A corresponding To Do list can be discussed in the course of training sessions, for example.
- Appoint an internal or hire an external one Data protection officer, who cares about compliance with any policies and laws regarding the protection of your customer and company data.
Data security when using (online) tools
Companies are known to use various tools to ensure data security. But are your data really safe? In the following, we will refer to the most common options and their characteristics.
Dropbox and its data security
In the course of the Dropbox solution and a corresponding storage of the data (according to the provider) is based on an AES encryption with a key length of 256 bit. Thus, the data should be protected from access by unauthorized persons.
However, if you decide to use this solution, you should always keep in mind that Dropbox itself has access to the stored data at any time.
Slack and data security- What standards apply here?
Slack has introduced new tools, including after the introduction of the new DSGVO guidelines, to further optimize data security. In addition, the provider says it relies on certain security features, for example in the form of…:
- data encryption during the transfer or the transmission of data. the storage of information
- a SAML based SSO
- the possibility to save messages user-defined.
Data security in the cloud Is that possible?
Anyone who stores their data in a cloud naturally takes advantage of the fact that they can access it from "practically anywhere in the world" Access the appropriate information. What sounds incredibly modern and convenient at first glance, however, also involves certain risks.
risks of a cloud
Among other things, it was various reports in the media that repeatedly raised doubts about the security of clouds. Even if the risk in connection with German or. EU providers here can certainly be considered comparatively low, it is important to be aware of the risks of such use.
These lie among other things in the fact that the danger of…:
- Data manipulation
- Access to the respective data
- Data loss
- lack of availability (for example, in the event of an internet outage)
is definitely given. Depending on the provider, however, it is customary to protect against precisely these risks.
Therefore you should compare the different services in detail with each other.
By the way, a popular solution when it comes to the benefits of reliable cloud accounting software is data transfer via sevDesk. Your corresponding information is secured via TLS encryption. Furthermore, the certified program relies on several hardware supported firewalls, a server location in Germany, separate data storage and other helpful features, such as automatic evaluations and a separate access for your tax advisor.
Secure your business data and accounting by using secure accounting software like sevDesk.
Data security on the Internet
Whether in your professional or private life: with the right precautions, it’s often easier than you think to increase data security on the Internet even further. The best thing to do is to take a few minutes to determine your own Data security concept to create or. to find out how secure you are so far in the "www" surf.
This is how you create a data security concept
Creating a data security concept is not difficult and can be implemented comparatively quickly even by computer laymen. Why don’t you take a look at our tips!
- Take care Security of your browser! You can achieve this, among other things, by deleting your cookies after a session on the PC, so that they cannot be passed on to external servers. also be sure to refrain from saving passwords.
- Speaking of"passwords“! Choose your passwords wisely! The best way to do this is to use a mix of large- and lowercase letters, numbers and characters. Change these individual access data regularly. If you need help, you can easily create your passwords with a generator.
- Stay in your social networks Only log in as long as you are actively using it. log off when you leave your PC place.
- Only trust sites that are secured with a secure connection serve. You recognize this at "https://".
- Do not feel too secure! Even if you follow the appropriate guidelines, it is always possible for unauthorized third parties to gain access to your data. If you notice any suspicious activity, be sure to take further action. In a company, the system administrator is often the right person to contact.
Over the last few years, legal regulations and technical possibilities have made it possible to use the Internet and..:
- Data security
- Information security
- Data protection
and Co. to make your data even more secure. However, the danger of information theft, hacker attacks and other risks is still far from being averted.
Accordingly, it is safest not only to rely on the appropriate tools, but also to train your employees and to always remain sensitive to the protection of your own data.
At the same time, of course, you should always keep an eye on the legal regulations. It is not their job to "bully" Internet users with ever new regulations, but rather to ensure, with the appropriate solutions, that surfing the "www" is safe and saving data can be done even more carefree.