Trees change our environment, as they can positively influence the climate and improve air quality. They provide shade, store water and give a habitat to a variety of animals. Healthy trees can mitigate storms or heavy rain and thus protect our belongings from considerable damage. Trees are therefore a an important part of our life and should be protected. Nevertheless, it can happen from time to time that a tree has to be cut down. In this article you will find out what you should pay attention to in advance and later when cutting the trees yourself.
Felling a tree with or without a permit?
What many yard owners don’t know: According to tree protection statutes, cutting down a tree requires trees above a certain size and circumference in Germany one Permit, even if this has been private property stand. For some trees even a special permit is needed. The "Permit for tree felling" can be obtained from the responsible public order office in your city or municipality. It is always required if the tree to be felled is on a trunk circumference of 80 cm or more and/or a height from 1,30 m owns. However, the tree protection ordinance that includes this regulation may have different provisions from municipality to municipality. Therefore you should inform exactly, which legislation applies in your place of residence. If you cut down a tree without official permission, you can be fined up to 50 euros.000 Euro and more (without guarantee), even if you have acted unknowingly and in good faith. Because ignorance does not protect against punishment, as the saying goes.
On the Internet, you can find out in advance what you need to consider when cutting down a tree in your municipality and what information you should have on hand, in order to be able to submit an application. Generally, the following things are required:
- an exact Description of the tree (genus, size and diameter of the trunk)
- Photos of the tree
- Sketch of the Property with location of the tree to be felled, all buildings and other trees
- detailed written justification, why the tree is to be felled
when is the right time to cut down a tree?
When you want to cut down a tree, it is not only its size that matters, but also the Season, because you may not always reach for the saw. Cutting down a tree is only in the winter months (30. September to 1. March) allowed. This regulation has several reasons. On the one hand, in winter no nesting birds disturbed. On the other hand, during this time the trees are in a Resting phase and the sap does not sprout through the branches and twigs. With deciduous trees this facilitates missing foliage additionally the view and thus also the felling work. Overloaded branches or crooked treetops can now be better recognized and taken into account during felling.
When is it absolutely necessary to cut down a tree?
Trees should be checked regularly so that no damage can be caused by them.
If a tree falls or loses branches, this can cause not only lead to property damage, but also to a Danger to people and animals are. As a rule the tree owner is liable for these damages, which are often not covered by insurance either. If the tree is on a private property, the owner must also pay for it. Therefore, it can be useful to have older trees once or twice a checked by an expert are. The owner will decide when a tree is too old or diseased and can become a danger. In this case the felling of the tree in question will be arranged.
However, every tree owner should also check independently, whether a tree can possibly become a danger. Particularly large trees with heavily foliated crowns suffer in the event of a storm or heavy rain and should therefore be looked at in advance. If it is foreseeable that a branch could break, you should spend to be acted upon before the next storm at the latest.
A regular tree pruning can prolong the health and life of a tree and should therefore be carried out regularly by the owner or a specialist.
Which trees have to be felled by experts?
When you apply for a tree felling permit at the city council, the experts will tell you if you need the You are allowed to fell the tree yourself or you have to call in an expert. This may be necessary if, for example, the tree is in confined spaces public roads are endangered or if the tree is unpredictable due to growths can fall uncontrollably. These regulations also vary from state to state and must therefore be inquired locally. For simple tree felling work, you are allowed to do it yourself, as long as you have the necessary skills necessary knowledge and tools have.
What are the costs when a tree has to be cut down by an expert??
It is not possible to make a binding estimate for each case, because the Prices vary greatly, depending on tree size and diameter of the trunk, the available space, the degree of difficulty due to rotten or overgrown trunks as well as the service provider itself and much more. To cut a a rough overview of the costs to get, a case example is to be mentioned here, which is however in no case obligatory.
- The Fee for the permit for felling: 40 to 100 Euro.
- day rental for hydraulic lift and tools: 100 to 150 Euro.
- The Felling of a 10 to 15 m high tree by means of disassembly, without root removal, but with the Disposal of small wood 200 to 500. Large pieces of wood remain with the tree owner and can be used or sold as firewood.
- Root removal and disposal: 60 to 150 euros.
- Large pieces of wood to trim as firewood depending on the quantity 50 to 120 euros. You can find out the exact price by getting an estimate from an expert on site.
What knowledge and tools are needed for tree felling??
To handle a chainsaw, you should take a course if only for your own safety.
If you cut down a larger tree yourself would like, then offer itself naturally a chainsaw at. These mostly handy devices can borrow in any hardware store. You do not necessarily need a license to operate a chainsaw or power saw on your own property, but you should at least have one Course taken with the forester have to have explained the correct handling of this equipment. A chainsaw has enormous forces and within a few seconds it can lead to very serious accidents come. Therefore, when cutting trees with a chainsaw, you should definitely remember the Protective clothing required think. Protective goggles, gloves, hearing protection and special chain trousers or chain mail can protect life and limb. The new protective clothing for working with chainsaws is neither heavy nor unwieldy or bulky and hardly differs from the traditional clothing. The special fabric pulls threads when in contact with the active saw blade, stopping the chainsaw before the teeth can penetrate the protective clothing. arms and legs are so sufficiently protected. If you want to cut down a tree outside of your own property, you will need a chainsaw license, which is similar to a driver’s license Training at the forestry office, can be obtained from hardware stores, the fire department or the technical relief organization. Depending on the provider, the training usually costs around 100 euros upwards and lasts two to three days. Often the course for the chainsaw license is held on a weekend.
Step-by-step guide to tree felling
The tree felling can be be done in two ways. Depending on how much space is available, the tree can either be felled as a whole or must be removed piece by piece. The felling as a whole When you have decided, in which direction the tree will fall safely then you can start with the felling work.
- First of all you must make sure that there is no Keep people or animals in the danger zone or can emerge.
- The so-called Fall notch cut into the trunk in the desired direction of fall. This consists of a horizontal cut that is made at the bottom of the trunk and should have a total depth of about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tree’s thickness. To complete the felling notch, a second cut is made from diagonally above to the end of the horizontal cut so that a wedge is created in the trunk.
- On the opposite side, the felling cut minimally set above the horizontal notch cut and driven into the trunk. However, it should not go through to the opposite cut, but stop a few centimeters earlier. by driving a wedge into the felling cut in the meantime, the closing of the same is prevented during sawing and the tension on the trunk is increased. With the correct handling should the tree now fall in the desired direction.
- If this is not the case, it can be helped by applying a little pressure on the wedge. Often, the felling of large trees can be better managed if, in advance, one or several ropes for securing placed around the top of the trunk. Helpers can thus direction of fall can be corrected somewhat in an emergency or set the fall in motion. However, it is essential to ensure that the ropes are long enough so that no one has to be in the danger zone.
felling piece by piece
If space is limited, the tree must be cut in small increments.
Usually a large tree can be not in the whole be felled on a plot of land, since the space is usually very limited is. Here you have to work in small steps.
- First of all large branches one by one secured with ropes and sawed off. In the case of very overhanging branches, this should also be done in several steps. On the ground, they should be immediately moved aside to prevent tripping hazards.
- Once all the branches have been removed, you start piece by piece with the removal of the crown. This should also be secured by ropes and thus slowly guided to the ground.
If you have the necessary knowledge and work with concentration, tree felling should be no problem and proceed without complications.