Re-registering a car: here’s how to do it right!

Deregistering your car made easy

Everything you need to know about deregistering your car

You are looking forward to finally moving into your new home? Now it’s time to think about the formalities associated with the move. Plan to make some visits to authorities in the immediate aftermath of the move.

The first way leads to the registration office

After you move, you will need to register or re-register with numerous offices, such as the tax office, utilities, or your bank. In order not to forget anything, it is best to use a checklist for the re-registrations to be completed. In order to be able to re-register your car, you must go to the residents’ registration office. There, your identity card or passport will be re-registered to match the new address. You will absolutely need this amended document for the motor vehicle registration transfer.

Checklist for your vehicle re-registration

Before you re-register your vehicle, you need to distinguish: Have you moved to a new registration district or do you still live in the same county? We give you the answers to your questions about vehicle re-registration.

Do I have to meet a deadline for vehicle re-registration??

Basically you have to re-register your vehicle immediately after your move. How strict this rather vague formulation is interpreted, is decided by the clerk of the registration office. Usually, delays of up to one month are not punished with fines; after that, however, you must reckon with the following.

TipDo the registration at the registration office and the registration office on the same day – then you can tick off these annoying tasks.

May I take my vehicle plates with me??

If you have moved within a registration district, you keep your plates in any case. When re-registering with a change of district, you can decide whether you want to have new plates stamped. Since 2015 there is the possibility to take the old license plates with you. This is how you save the costs for the embossing.

Which documents do I need for the vehicle transfer??

For the re-registration of a motor vehicle you always need these documents:

  • Identity card or passport with confirmation of registration of the vehicle owner (with the updated address)
  • Registration certificate part I
  • Inspection certificate from the last general inspection
  • at some registration offices: written power of attorney of the vehicle owner, if you represent him/her

If you are re-registering your car with a change of district, you must also submit these documents

  • Registration certificate part II
  • 7-digit eVB number
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the settlement of the motor vehicle tax
  • the old license plates, if you want to have new ones embossed
  • in case of representation a written power of attorney of the vehicle owner

Minors need a written declaration of consent as well as the identity cards or passports of their legal guardians. Businesses should submit their business registration or an excerpt from the commercial register; associations should provide proof of an excerpt from the register of associations.

Do I need a new eVB number?

In the case of a re-registration without a change of district, your eVB number remains the same. If you are moving to a new district, however, you should request a new eVB number from your vehicle insurance company for the vehicle re-registration. You can do this informally, for example by telephone or e-mail. Often you will receive the number within a few minutes or hours.

Can I also do the re-registration online?

Check the website of your registration office to find out whether i-Kfz services (Internet-based vehicle registration) are already available for re-registration. Citizens of Berlin, for example, can carry out the vehicle change within the city area as well as with a change of district online. However, this option is not yet available nationwide.

How much does it cost to re-register a vehicle??

If you re-register your car without a change of district, you will pay about 10 to 12 euros for updating the registration papers, depending on your registration district. If you have moved to another district, the costs will be higher. Expect to pay around 50 euros for updating the registration certificate. If you need new license plates, you will have to pay an additional 20 to 35 euros for embossing the plates and, if necessary, 12.80 euros for reserving a personalized license plate.

Re-registering the vehicle in Corona times

If you are currently re-registering your car, you should be prepared for some special features at the registration office. Due to the contact restrictions and distance regulations in force, most German authorities have either severely restricted or completely stopped party communication without an appointment. It is therefore useful (and often even mandatory) to make an appointment in advance online or by phone. Often special waiting areas are set up, which can even be outdoors if there is a big crowd. Before your visit, find out about the current process at your DMV and come well prepared. Then nothing will stand in the way of a smooth vehicle registration process.

Rate the article or leave us a comment. We are happy to hear your opinion!

(4 votes, average: 2,50 out of 5)

Since September 2013, I have been the content manager responsible for the content of our websites, and have become an expert in the field of license plates and relocation. Who would have thought that, since I am actually a graduate geographer, but this only confirms the changeability that is said to geographers& So now I am always on the lookout for exciting topics that I can present to our users.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: