How to write a job application introduction? Introductory sentences in the application that ignite!
The application should depict the person in all his facets, highlight his skills and qualifications, and emphasize his uniqueness. It is not so easy to convince when the competition is very high and standardized introductory sentences are used in the application. The introduction of an application should therefore be as individual as possible from the beginning and should pick up and emphasize the character of the applicant. A successful introductory sentence is therefore very important for the introduction of an application: The personnel manager gets a direct access to the applicant. This in turn increases their chances of being allowed to introduce themselves in a personal interview and scoring points there. That’s why it can be worthwhile to pay special attention to the introduction of your application.
What should I pay attention to in the introduction of the application??
The introductory sentences of the application are the first business card that the candidate leaves behind. After reading the introductory sentences of the application, the personnel manager can form an initial opinion and decide whether to risk another look or whether the application folder should be sorted out if necessary. Therefore, the introductory sentences of the application should be formulated cleanly and conscientiously, of course without errors. It is important to take the time to find out the name of the contact person and to spell it correctly. The formula "Dear Sir or Madam" should only be used in exceptional cases, i.e. only if no contact person could be found even after extensive research. As a rule, the introductory sentences of the application should be preceded by a polite, personal salutation. Even if the application is sent as an e-mail, a friendly salutation should not be omitted.
It is ideal if you can already set certain anchors in the introduction of the application. It is important to find connecting factors that immediately show why the applicant is suitable for a particular position. Those who manage to stand out from the crowd in the very first sentence have an advantage. Pre-formulated sentences can help to find a beginning, but the trick is to individualize them to such an extent that they fit the person and the situation excellently. Which special experiences distinguish the candidate? What additional qualifications or skills does he bring with him? Are there any special stations in his curriculum vitae which should be addressed directly at the beginning?? Unconventional introductory sentences of the application draw attention to the respective applicant and are therefore always preferable to standard formulations.
Personal contacts and points of contact are definitely worth mentioning. For example, it is worth noting the name of the person you are talking to at a trainee or job fair. It is also important to refer to this in a previous phone call. If you have already gained experience in the company or have worked together successfully on projects, you should definitely mention this. It always helps to create a personal basis.
Within the application, the cover letter complements the resume. The resume provides the "hard facts" about the person and his or her qualifications, but the introduction to the application is a successful cover letter that catches the recruiter’s attention and places the application in an appropriate personal setting.
Five sample introductory sentences for the application for a training position
Dear Ms./Mr. Mustermann,
- I studied your training offer on your Internet portal with great interest. Therefore, I hereby apply for a training position as a mechatronics technician / real estate salesperson / media designer in your company for the training year 20xx.
- after our friendly and informative telephone conversation on xx.xx.xxxx I would like to apply for a training position as xx.xx.xxxx in your company.
- I was positively impressed by your appearance at the training fair and the interview with your employee Mr. Mustermann / your employee Ms. Mustermann. Therefore, I am applying for a training position as xx.xx.xxxx in your company.
- Your job advertisement in the local press has aroused great interest in me. Therefore, I would like to apply for a training position for xx.xx.xxxx apply in your company.
- after the successfully completed internship in your company I would like to apply directly afterwards for a training position as xx.xx.xxxx apply in your company.
Five sample introductory sentences for the application for a job
Dear Ms. / Mr. Mustermann,
- after my research on your web portal I was referred to your job advertisement of xx.xx.xxxx attentive and hereby apply for this vacancy.
- Your job advertisement from xx.xx.xxxx in the local press has aroused my interest and convinced me to apply as xx.xx.xxxx to apply in your company.
- Through the mediation of the employment agency I became aware of your exciting vacancy for the position as … As my qualifications match your requirements, I would like to apply for a position in your company.
- Within the framework of project XY, I have already had the opportunity to prove my abilities by working together with your company. I would like to follow this up with an unsolicited application for a … position in .. .
- after 10 years of work experience in the field of … I would like to shift my professional focus, take on new challenges and contribute productively to your company in the field of …
Five sample introductory sentences to use when applying for an internship
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Mustermann,
- As part of my career orientation at the Gymnasium / Realschule / Werkrealschule, I would like to apply for an internship at your company.
- as part of my bachelor’s degree / master’s degree / diploma program at the university … I would like to apply for an internship at your company in the area of communication / development / controlling.
- After the nice and informative conversation with Mr. / Mrs. Mustermann, I would like to apply for a two-week student internship in your company as part of my career orientation.
- in order to apply the skills I learned during my studies in practice, I would like to apply for an internship in your company in the area of …
- in order to make a final check of my career choice before I start my studies / before I start my apprenticeship, I am asking for a voluntary vacation internship in your company in the field of .. .
- available immediately
- individually adaptable
- wide range of designs