A beautifully set table looks classy and shows that you like to make an effort for your loved ones: Even away from Christmas and festive family celebrations, a properly set table demonstrates a sense for the special in the everyday.
Of course, you do not have to set the table at every lunch or dinner to the last detail knigge-compliant. Just a tablecloth, properly placed glasses and coordinated dishes make a stylish impression and give even simple meals that certain something. We have compiled for you how to properly set your table at parties.
- Celebrate holidays and festivities with an opulent table
- What to look for when setting the table?
- It must not always be absolutely rule-conform
Celebrate holidays and festivities with an opulent table setting
On special days, of course, the eye eats extra special: Birthdays, Christmas and other occasions are celebrated in many families in a festive setting. The festive table should naturally attract all eyes on such a day: Expensive china, polished glasses and heavy silverware are artfully draped on the table. Candlesticks, seasonal decorations or flowers complete the arrangement.
Which elements belong to a properly set dining table?
- TableclothTraditionally, a white tablecloth made of fabric belongs on a noble table, of course without wrinkles – unsightly creases can be easily removed with an iron.
- Tableware: Whether plain white, classic with gold trim or modern and colorful, is up to personal taste, but should be appropriate for a special occasion. In addition to round plates, oval or square shapes can also be used.
- CutleryIt does not always have to be the inherited silver cutlery – simple stainless steel cutlery also makes a good impression on a festive table. Blackened stainless steel cutlery is particularly fashionable, giving the table an elegant, modern look.
- GlassesFrom water glasses to wine glasses to champagne flutes, you should set all the glasses you will need during the meal. If wine is served, both white and red wine glasses can be placed, varying in size.
- NapkinsNapkins made of fabric are particularly elegant, because they are heavy and are often starched after washing. But also paper napkins contribute to a noble ambience, if they are colorful or. can be decorated according to the season or the occasion.
- CandlestickCandles add a special festive atmosphere to a meal with family or friends. Whether small tea light glasses or the opulent, multi-armed candlestick are the right choice depends on the occasion, but also on the shape and size of the table.
- Table decorationFor special occasions, table decorations are an essential part of a festive meal. Depending on the occasion and season, flowers, stones, branches or decorative vases and bowls in matching colors are selected for this purpose. Flower arrangements and decorations should not be too large or high, however: If they block the view of the other person, they nip any table conversation in the bud.
What to look for when setting the table?
To ensure that the dining table makes a fitting impression on a festive occasion, there are a few rules to follow when setting the table. Although these are already several hundred years old, even in modern times nothing has changed in the traditional values of an impressive hospitality of friends and guests.
The most important components of a properly set table are dishes, cutlery, glasses and napkins. There are fixed rules, especially when arranging plates, cutlery and glasses.
The center of every place setting is the plate
- On a festive occasion, the first thing to do is to set a place plate. This is larger than a normal plate and remains in its place until the end of the meal. It is a placeholder, so to speak.
- On the place plate is a flat plate for the main course. If the main course is served on the plate, however, it is not set with it.
- A plate or bowl for a starter soup is again placed on top. During the course of the meal, the respective plate is cleared after each course.
- If bread or another snack is served before the first course, an additional bread plate is placed on the table. This has its place on the left side of the plate next to the cutlery.
Around the plates the cutlery is arranged
This depends on the number of courses. It is planned to clear the used cutlery after each course. Traditionally, knives, forks and spoons are set and used according to the courses from the outside in:
- On the left side of the plate are the forks. Directly next to the plate is the fork for the main course, to the left of it is the starter fork.
- The right side of the plate is reserved for the knives and the soup spoon. The spoon is on the far right, followed by the knife for the appetizer and the knife for the main course. If fish is served, a fish knife should be placed at the appropriate place on the plate.
- Above the plate is the dessert cutlery. Depending on the dessert, this can be a cake fork or a small spoon. Often both are used.
- On the far left of the bread plate, you can place a bread plate or. butter knives are put away.
The third important part of setting the table are the glasses
These are placed above the knives, in the order in which they are used. On the very outside, directly above the knives, is therefore the water glass. Next to it the wine glasses are placed, first the white wine glass, then the red wine glass. Champagne glasses, on the other hand, are rarely set and are not part of the classic arrangement – as a rule, if there is a champagne reception, the champagne is served on trays before the meal.
The crowning glory of the table setting are the napkins. These can be elaborately folded, but also a simple rectangle makes a good impression. Another variation is a rolled napkin secured by a napkin ring. Place the napkin either on the top plate or, if the first course is already ready when the guests take their seats, on the left side next to the bread plate.
It does not always have to be absolutely
If you follow all the rules of table setting, you will create a chic ambience that will impress every guest. But it does not always have to be one hundred percent etiquette: Modern lifestyles and current furnishing trends offer numerous possibilities to vary when setting the table and still present a stylish table.
For example, there are definitely alternatives to the white, starched tablecloth: tablecloths in black or dark gray are almost as elegant and, above all, modern. A dark tablecloth with white plates and blackened cutlery creates a young, stylish effect and is suitable for dining with friends as well as family.
There are also variations in setting the table for special occasions. So must z. B. at Christmas the ceiling should not be white, but may match the color of the Christmas tree and decorations: A dark red or dark blue tablecloth provides a seasonally coordinated backdrop for fine white tableware and fine cloth napkins.
And looking at current decorating trends also opens up new variations on setting the table. Trendy colors as eye-catchers, seasonal table accessories and monochrome color worlds offer variety to the classic festive table and make at least as much impression on the guests as the table set in accordance with etiquette.